Mid- to Senior-Level Coastal Engineer
Coastal Science & Engineering (CSE) announces an immediate opening for a mid- to senior-level civil engineer to support the development and completion of coastal beach restoration and resilience projects along the east coast of the United States.
Applicants with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering focused on coastal, ocean, marine, environmental, or related fields may qualify for this position. Candidates with the most preferred qualifications will offer experience in one or more of the following: beach nourishment design, marine structure design, coastal processes and numerical modeling, stormwater management, resilience, and construction management. In addition, they will exhibit abilities or potential in business development, marketing, and client interaction.
This position is permanent, full-time, based in Columbia, SC, with ongoing project opportunities in GA, SC, NC, NY, and abroad.
- Serve as project Civil/Coastal engineer, ensuring that the technical aspects of the project meet quality expectations while complementing the design intent
- Serve as Project Manager on assigned projects
- Produce Civil/Coastal engineering designs for shoreline protection and restoration projects, stormwater mitigation, groins, jetties, breakwaters, and other waterfront improvements
- Perform site reviews, construction site visits, and coordinate all aspects of Construction Administration
- Communicate with clients, sub-consultants, contractors, and all government levels of regulatory agencies regarding engineering, permitting, and site development issues
- Mentor junior staff and participate in performance coaching
- Participate in the recruitment and interviewing process as requested
Particularly Desired Skills and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent with relevant coursework in structures, hydraulics, wave mechanics, and coastal processes
- A master’s degree preferred in civil engineering (coastal or environmental
- 10 or more years of relevant design experience working as a Civil/Coastal Engineer
- Minimum of 5 years experience in coastal resilience/protection projects, stormwater management, coastal structures, hydraulic modeling, or similar field
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams in preparing design and engineering documents through all phases of project development, including planning, design, contract documents, and reports
- Field experience leading and/or supporting contract administration associated with the construction of coastal improvements
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or ability to obtain within 6 months
- Experienced in data analysis and related software (e.g., Excel, Matlab, Python)
- High proficiency in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and ArcMap GIS is preferred
- Experienced with 2D or 3D hydrodynamic circulation and wave models such as GENESIS, SBEACH, XBeach, CMS, Delft3D, MIKE, ADCIRC, and SWAN preferred
- Modeling littoral processes, wave transformation, and harbor hydrodynamics
- Ability to multi-task under rigid deadlines
- Ability to travel and work remotely for short periods of time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work with clients and colleagues at all levels
Motivated engineers with career goals of specializing in beach restoration and coastal engineering are encouraged to apply. As a leader in beach restoration and coastal engineering services for 35 years, CSE offers the ideal candidate a dynamic workplace, opportunities for career development, and salary growth.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience. CSE offers an excellent employee benefits package, including paid time off, employee-matched IRAs, and profit sharing. CSE is an equal-opportunity employer.
TO APPLY, please mail or email the following to Carrie Marks, Publications Manager, at
Coastal Science & Engineering, Inc. (CSE), 160 Gills Creek Parkway, Columbia SC 29209 or CMarks@coastalscience.com:
- Letter of interest
- List of References and Contact Information
- Samples of technical writing, numerical modeling, engineering design, or publications in which the applicant was directly involved (Optional)