Full-Time Bookkeeper/Office Administrator
Coastal Science & Engineering (CSE) announces an immediate opening for a bookkeeper/office administrator. This role will include office administration, accounts receivables, accounts payable, customer billing, and generating spreadsheets and reports. The ideal candidate is a highly-motivated, detail-oriented individual with prior payroll and bookkeeping experience who is excellent at data entry, particularly via QuickBooks (or similar software) and Excel.
CSE is a 10-person coastal engineering firm with over 35 years of experience conducting projects throughout the Southeast and abroad. Our professionals are internationally recognized leaders in the field who work closely with municipal, state, and federal agencies.
CSE’s office is conveniently located in a suburban setting close to Midlands Tech, the University of South Carolina, top Richland 1 schools, and a premier shopping district.
CSE maintains a supportive work environment where every employee contributes ideas and provides input to corporate decisions. We offer flexible work schedules, liberal PTO benefits, and the possibility of profit-sharing after a minimum vesting period. The company matches retirement contributions and provides generous subsidies for continuing education. The company is 100% employee-owned.
This position is permanent, full-time,* based in Columbia, SC.
* Depending on the qualifications and needs of the successful candidate, the position can be 60% or 80% time with a reduction of some of the duties listed below.
- Creates itemized statements, bills, invoices, and other necessary billing documents.
- Performs general bookkeeping work on a job costing basis, including entering data and maintaining records, invoices, and supporting documents of amounts due for services rendered.
- Creates supporting payroll reports for billing documents for each type of project.
- Contacts customers and subcontractors to obtain and update account information as needed.
- Contract/project/vendor set up and administration, including W-9s and COIs.
- Monitors employee timesheets and audits PTO usage and utilization rates.
- Runs monthly payroll for up to 15 employees using QuickBooks Time software.
- Codes new projects and budgets into QuickBooks software.
- Manage company insurance policies, renewals, and insurance audits.
- Manage industry conference sponsorships, booking attendance and hotel rooms as needed.
- Perform monthly, quarterly, and year-end close.
- Complete journal entries for accruals and work with CPA to complete year-end tax filings.
- Performs other office duties, including answering phones and picking up mail.
Accounts Payable Tasks:
- Updating and maintaining records of expenditures.
- Verifying the accuracy of invoices before sending out payments.
- Responding to vendor invoices promptly.
- Ensuring that all payments are sent on time.
- Resolving payment discrepancies and disputes on behalf of the company.
Accounts Receivable Tasks:
- Preparing and emailing invoices to customers each month.
- Posting payments to customer accounts.
- Organizing and filing deposit receipts as invoices are paid.
- Preparing reports on delinquent accounts and customer payment profiles.
- Reconciling cash receipts and deposits.
- Analyzing financial records for accuracy.
- Good understanding of clerical and administrative procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Produce accurate, timely reports, including Cash Flow, Profit & Loss, Balance Sheets, and Payroll.
- Proactive and able to solve problems as they arise.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Professional experience in job costing.
- Proficient in QuickBooks and QuickBooks Time (or similar software).
- Confidence in learning and embracing new technology to solve client issues.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in accounting, finance, or payroll accounting.
- 4+ years of demonstrated ability to provide detailed bookkeeping support – accounts payable, accounts receivable, closing books each month, and preparing financial reporting and analysis for small businesses.
- 4+ years of transactional accounting experience using QuickBooks (or comparable software such as NetSuite) for a professional organization.
Applicants are encouraged to provide at least one letter of recommendation along with a resume and statement of interest. Salary negotiable based on ability and experience.