Coastal Science & Engineering (CSE) announces an immediate opening for a coastal engineer to support the development and completion of coastal beach restoration and resilience projects along the east coast of the United States.
This role requires a motivated engineer exhibiting strong technical and team-building skills to help drive projects toward successful completion. They will have the opportunity to work on a variety of coastal engineering projects with a concentration on beach nourishment, resilience planning, coastal structures, and inlet studies, all of which may involve feasibility studies, engineering designs and analyses, numerical modeling, report preparation, permitting, and construction engineering services. This position has tremendous growth and career development potential for a dedicated and ambitious engineer that thrives in an entrepreneurial-type environment focused on collaboration, integrity, and innovation.
This position is permanent, full-time, based in Columbia, SC, with ongoing project opportunities in GA, SC, NC, NY, and abroad.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serve as project Civil/Coastal engineer, ensuring that the technical aspects of the project meet quality expectations while complementing the design intent.
- Serve as Project Manager on assigned projects.
- Produce Civil/Coastal engineering designs for shoreline protection and restoration projects, stormwater mitigation, groins, jetties, breakwaters, and other waterfront improvements.
- Perform site reviews, construction site visits, and coordinate all aspects of Construction Administration.
- Communicate with clients, sub-consultants, contractors, and all government levels of regulatory agencies regarding engineering, permitting, and site development issues.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent with relevant coursework in structures, hydraulics, wave mechanics, and coastal processes.
- A master’s degree preferred in civil engineering (coastal or environmental).
- Experience or interest in coastal resilience/protection projects, stormwater management, coastal structures, hydraulic modeling, or similar field.
- Experience in preparing multidisciplinary design and engineering documents through all phases of project development, including planning, design, contract documents, and reports.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or ability to obtain within five years.
- Experience using data analysis software preferred (e.g., Excel, Matlab, Python).
- Experience in geospatial software preferred (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and ArcMap GIS).
- Experience or interest in modeling littoral processes, wave transformation, and harbor hydrodynamics preferred (GENESIS, SBEACH, XBeach, CMS, Delft3D, MIKE, ADCIRC, and SWAN).
- Ability to multi-task under rigid deadlines.
- Ability to travel and work remotely for short periods of time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work with clients and colleagues at all levels (experience in public speaking preferred).
Motivated engineers with career goals of specializing in beach restoration and coastal engineering are encouraged to apply. As a leader in beach restoration and coastal engineering services for 35 years, CSE offers the ideal candidate a dynamic workplace, opportunities for career development, and salary growth.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience. CSE offers an excellent employee benefits package, including paid time off, employee-matched IRAs, and profit sharing. CSE is an equal-opportunity employer.
TO APPLY, please mail or email the following to Carrie Marks, Publications Manager, at
Coastal Science & Engineering, Inc. (CSE), 160 Gills Creek Parkway, Columbia SC 29209 or CMarks@coastalscience.com:
- Letter of interest
- List of References and Contact Information
- Samples of technical writing, numerical modeling, engineering design, or publications in which the applicant was directly involved (Optional)